The 1918/7-S Standing Liberty quarter is one of the key date silver coin rarities of the 20th century.
This variety was first noticed in the late 1930’s and the first auction appearance was in December, 1937. Collectors began saving the few they could find in circulation. Today, the 1918/7-S is rare and relatively expensive even in the lowest grades. Mint state specimens are very rare and specimens with fully struck heads are extremely rare. Probably less than 100 mint state survivors exist and there are probably less than 10 gem MS65 or better specimens.
1918/7 S 25c Standing Liberty Quarter NGC AU 55 About Uncirculated
A very sharp 1918/7 S standing liberty quarter graded AU 55 by NGC. It carries very strong detail for the grade with mostly white surfaces throughout both sides. This over-date is very tough to find certified problem free in this grade. It is the highest graded example we have ever offered for this particular variety. You can clearly see the over-date over the eight in the close-up photos provided.
This San Francisco Mint coin has a high mintage of 11,072,000. However, the PCGS Coin Facts estimates that only 3,000 of these still have survived that are the 1918/7 S variety. This coin is one of only 16 graded About Uncirculated 55 by NGC.
- Mint: San Francisco
- Obverse Designer: Hermon A. MacNeil
- Reverse Designer: Hermon A. MacNeil
- Composition: Silver
- Fineness: 0.9
- Weight: 6.25g
- ASW: 0.1808oz
- Melt Value: $4.66 (3/5/2022)
- Diameter: 24.3mm
- Edge: Reeded
Popularity requires a certain level of interest by collectors to create demand and then the values they place on coins. Standing Liberty quarters enjoy many lasting qualities.
- Appealing Design: A full figure of Liberty striding forward as the obverse design is considered one of the best renderings of Liberty on all U.S. coinage. Many collectors agree, demonstrated by their involvement.
- Welcomed by the Public When Issued: Standing Liberty quarters replaced the Barber coinage currently in circulation. The public embraced the new design change by setting many aside keepsakes.
- These Quarters are Available: Quantities are adequate of circulated examples and because of affordability, new and beginning collector find the series possible to collect. Rare and key dates trade with frequency yearly, an opportunity for advanced collectors.
- Historical Time in U.S. History: Involvement in World War I and the expanding economy of the 1920’s is within the mintage years of the series. A collection spans a permanent and lasing part of history.